Rotary District 1100's Website for Group Study Exchange to Sri Lanka - January 29th to February 26th, 2011
Sri Lanka Time: UK Time:

Tuesday 15 February 2011

Emily's Vocational Visits

Emily Blogs:


It has been difficult for me to gain access to the internet for more than around 5 – 10 minutes at a time, and therefore have not been able to blog as much as I would have liked. I have had time to post one or two photos and have been envious of the others who have had the opportunities to do more blogging. So I have almost two weeks to catch up on!!

I have visited two establishments with Occupational Therapists (OT’s) and have been able to discuss how their departments work and what interventions they do with patients. I met the lead OT Dr Yappa at Ragama Rehabilitation Centre (Colombo) and he showed me around the 4 OT departments which were very interesting, There were some language barriers…until we started talking in ‘OT language’ and it became evident that the OT assessment and treatment process was the same! The only difference being the funding and resources that are available.

I also met an OT in Digama Rehabilitation Hospital in Kandy and there was a session being carried out at the time and there was even more of a language barrier here. It was interesting to see what type of referrals they were receiving….quite different to the UK, but when we talked about medical conditions, the three most frequent causes of disability is Stroke and Diabetes which is similar to the UK.

I also visited 7 other establishments for disabled children and adults and it was so interesting to see where OT would fit in. Most people I have spoken to have said that OT is rare and there is a need for them.

I am due to visit the OT department at the Burns Unit at the National Hospital on the 22nd Feb, which I am really excited about. One of John’s host’s wife organised it for me.

The hosts have been amazing! I have been lost for words on so many occasions (which doesn’t happen very often!) at the hospitality I have received. I have stayed with David (and Nirmala), Chandiman (and Shanaz), George (and Evangilin) Rose-Marie and Crishantha (and Dilina). I can’t thank them enough for looking after me so well… I feel like I have made some friends for life. I am looking forward to meeting my new hosts too.

I know the others have been updating the blog on what cultural things we have been doing and where we have been. I have been blown away everything we have done and I think Sri Lanka is a beautiful country full of culture and wonderful people. I will most certainly be returning with my partner Andrew.

Well, I feel this has been a bit much to read for you all, so sorry it has been an extra long one. I will keep doing my best to update it when I can.

Here’s to another 2 weeks here!! Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment